Wednesday 24 November 2010

Hatshepsut's Rock Cut Tomb

I recently linked to Jane Akshar's blog (Luxor News), regarding photos of KV20. The photos were taken and owned by Richard Sellicks.

I am pleased to report that Richard has also kindly posted photos of Hatshepsut's rock cut tomb
on Jane's blog. Now this is not KV20. Before becoming Pharaoh, Hatshepsut began making a "fitting" tomb for herself. When Hatshepsut became Pharaoh, the rock- cut tomb was no longer suitable. The Valley of the Kings, KV20 was the replacement.

Hatshepsut's rock cut tomb does not contain Hieroglyphs or what some call treasure (gold, jewelery, etc). For those working in Egypt- information is treasure. The main source of information within this tomb comes from a Sarcophagus (now in the Egyptian Museum, Cairo), discovered by Howard Carter.

The inscriptions, titles given and the apparent abandonment allows us to see a small part of the life of Hatshepsut. A transition period, from Kings Daughter to Pharaoh. For further reading, please see:

Maat-Ka-Ra-Hatshepsut
- Tomb description, diagram, photos, inscriptions (Go to Site Map, Cliff Tomb)
Egyptopia.com- Sarcophagus

Regards,

Stuart

3 comments:

Candy said...

Hi! I'm a 6th grade student and we just got done studying Hatshepsut in History and I thought I would look her up on a website. Thank you for your service!

Stuart Tyler said...

Hi - If you cannot find what you are looking for on here then please let me know. I am happy to recommend other sites if that would be of use to you.

Keep up the studies. There is a lot to learn about (Ancient Egypt) and its a lot of fun.

Feel free to drop in at any time

Regards,
Stuart

Stuart Tyler said...

@Candy,

I missed out your name in my response to your comment. Sorry.

Regards,
Stuart